TitlesDirector of Vocal Pedagogy
I am most interested in sustainable and accurate technique that allows a singer to become purely expressive both physically and emotionally in any genre. I believe that we have one voice that can be flexible, informed, and nuanced for all opportunities.
Kevin Wilson joined the voice faculty in January 2008 and is the director of vocal pedagogy. At the conservatory he teaches applied voice for musical theater and vocal performance students, Structure and Function of the Singing Mechanism, History of Vocal Pedagogy, Vocal Pedagogy, and Applied Teaching Practicum. Additionally, he serves as director of the conservatory's Vocal Pedagogy Professional Workshop (VPPW), and as an instructor in the Musical Theater Dance Intensive (MTDI) and Vocal Choral Intensive (VCI).
As a vocal pedagogue, diagnostician, and rehabilitator, he is dedicated to voice habilitation and securing the voice through a sustainable, flexible technique. As a result his students have performed in venues ranging from the Metropolitan Opera, Chicago Lyric, New York City Opera, Handel and Haydn Society, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Baroque, Oregon and Carmel Bach Festivals to Broadway’s Cats, Beautiful, Kinky Boots, Gigi, Rocky, Mamma Mia, Once, Natasha Pierre, Dr. Zhivago, Cinderella, Avenue Q, Evita, and numerous national tours including Once, Chicago, Camelot, Wicked, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, Mamma Mia, Peter and the Star Catcher, Chorus Line, Shrek, Rent, West Side Story, Evita, and more. His students have been finalists and winners in the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra Competition, Metropolitan Opera Auditions, the NATS Boston/National Voice Competitions, and received multiple prestigious regional nominations and awards for performance.
Kevin earned an M.M. in vocal pedagogy from the New England Conservatory and a B.M. in vocal performance from the University of Central Oklahoma. He has studied at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory, Speech Anatomy and Physiology at Boston University Sargent School of Health, Vocal Pedagogy at the Distinguished Voice Professional program with New York Singing Teaching Association, and Voice and Speech with Catherine Fitzmaurice.
Kevin is in demand as a clinician, adjudicator, and lecturer and has given masterclasses and lectures on vocal health, and musical theater and classical pedagogies throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. He is a former faculty of Brown University and Marymount Manhattan College. He is the vocal instructor for the American Repertory Theater at Harvard University and maintains a professional voice studio in Boston and New York City.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Pan American Vocology Association (Member, 2016)
- National Association for Teachers of Singing (Member, 2016)
- Artist in Residence (Arizona State University, 2016)
- Vocal Pedagogy Professional Workshop (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Director
- Masterclass (Classical Singer Magazine Convention, 2016)—Teacher
- Musical Theater Dance Intensive (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Director of Voice
- Vocal Choral Intensive (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Breathing Instructor
- Healthy Belting Masterclass (Berklee Musical Theater Summer Intensive, 2016)—Teacher
- Audition Finals (National Association of Teachers of Singing Auditions, 2016)—Juror
- Masterclass and Vocal Health (Walnut Hill School for the Arts, 2016)—Teacher
- Faculty Recital (Boston Conservatory, 2015)
Therapy (Napoleon Room, 2015) Solo Cabaret—Performer