Leslie Shafer Koval
TitlesProfessor of Dance
I focus on teaching students, rather than imparting information. I tailor course content and methods to the particular students in each class. I am inspired by the passion and dedication of these wonderful people.
Leslie Shafer Koval joined the Conservatory in 1977 as an instructor of modern dance technique in the B.F.A. program and Summer Dance Intensive program, and is a professor of dance.
After a 13-year hiatus from teaching, during which she pursued a performance career, Koval rejoined the Conservatory faculty in 1991. She currently teaches Modern Dance Technique, Laban Movement Analysis, and Coaching for Performance, and she is a rehearsal director for mainstage dance performances. She also serves as an academic advisor and Dean's Council representative.
As a member of Concert Dance Company of Boston from 1978 to 1991, Koval performed in works by major choreographers, including Merce Cunningham, Murray Louis, Bill Evans, Mark Morris, Laura Dean, Dan Wagoner, Kathy Posin, and Bebe Miller. She also danced in the companies of Rudy Perez, Elizabeth Keen, Harry Streep, Ruth Birnberg, Amy Ellsworth, and Dance Collective. Koval was on the faculty of Rhode Island College, Radcliffe College, and Walnut Hill School for the Arts.
Koval earned a B.A. in English literature and studio arts from the University of Rochester. She went on to earn an M.F.A. in dance from Sarah Lawrence College, where she studied under Bessie Schonberg. She is a Certified Laban Movement Analyst, having trained under Irmgard Bartenieff.
Koval currently resides in Sharon, Massachusetts.
• D-Man in the Waters (Part I) by Bill T. Jones (Boston Conservatory, 2012)—Rehearsal director
• Canonic 3/4 Studies by Mark Morris (Boston Conservatory, 2014)—Rehearsal director
• Last Run by Brian Brooks (Boston Conservatory, 2014)—Rehearsal director
• To Have and to Hold by Daniel Shapiro and Joanie Smith (Boston Conservatory, 2015)—Rehearsal director
• Possession by Doug Varone (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Rehearsal director