TitlesAssistant Professor of Theater
SpecialtiesContemporary Theater and Musical Theater
MJ Halberstadt (he/him/his) joined Boston Conservatory at Berklee in 2019 and teaches theater. Halberstadt is the playwright of The Launch Prize (Elliot Norton Award, Bridge Repertory Theater), The Usual Unusual (SpeakEasy Stage Company’s Boston Project Commission), That Time the House Burned Down (Fresh Ink Theatre), and other plays involving the intersection of Antarctica, community, privilege, and queerness. In addition to Boston Conservatory, he has taught as an adjunct/assistant professor of dramatic writing at Emerson College and Northeastern University.
Halberstadt is an alumnus of the Huntington Playwriting Fellowship, Boston University (M.F.A. '12), and Emerson College (B.A. '10). He is a founding playmaker emeritus of Bridge Repertory Theater, a member of the Dramatists Guild of America, and a devoted knitter.
Professional Awards and Recognitions
- SpeakEasy Stage Company—Boston Project Commission (2018–2020)
- Huntington Playwriting Fellowship (2017–2019)
- Outstanding New Script, The Launch Prize (Elliot Norton Award, 2016)
Recent Notable Work
- Deal Me Out (Boston Playwrights' Theatre, 2020)—Playwright
- Hardly Soft (Museum of Fine Arts Boston, 2018)—Playwright
- (We Are) The Antarcticans (Flat Earth Theatre, 2018)—Playwright
- That Time the House Burned Down (Fresh Ink Theatre, 2016)—Playwright
- The Launch Prize (Bridge Repertory Theater, 2016)—Playwright