July 12–July 30, 2021
Boston Conservatory at Berklee Musical Theater Acting Intensive is designed for emerging theater artists, ages 15 to 25.
Led by Broadway veteran Laura Marie Duncan, Musical Theater Acting Intensive is a rigorous, three-week program that delves deep into the complex art of character development, with intensive studies in acting, singing, and movement.
Students will also explore classical and contemporary repertoire, with daily classes in subjects ranging from Shakespeare to clowning to pop and rock vocal techniques. Another key component of Musical Theater Acting Intensive is its focus on audition preparation. Throughout the three weeks, students will refine one to two audition pieces, so that they leave the program with the skills and confidence needed to nail their next audition.
Musical Theater Acting Intensive is modeled after Boston Conservatory’s top-ranking musical theater programs and gives students who are considering a degree in theater an opportunity to experience Boston Conservatory's signature training. The program is designed to complement the Conservatory’s related summer intensives—Musical Theater Dance Intensive, which develops strong theater dance technique, and Vocal/Choral Intensive, which is designed for serious singers interested in musical theater or classical music.
Who Should Apply
Emerging theater artists between the ages of 15 and 25 who want to train with Broadway professionals and develop the acting, singing, and movement skills essential to developing a role and that character’s personality. Musical Theater Acting Intensive also focuses on audition preparation, so it is ideal for students interested in pursuing theater, whether academically or professionally.
Faculty and Guest Instructors
Musical Theater Acting Intensive is led by Broadway veteran and Boston Conservatory Associate Professor of Theater Laura Marie Duncan. Additional faculty and guest instructors will be announced this spring.
|Housing and Meals:*||$2,075|
|Payment Deadline:||Tuesday, June 1, 2021|
|Move-In Date:||Monday, July 12, 2021 (time TBD)|
|Move-Out Date:||Saturday, July 31, 2021 by 12:00 p.m.|
Students living on campus enjoy housing in the Conservatory’s historical brownstones and the many offerings of the Berklee cafeteria, just down the street. Learn more about housing.
*Students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. Students may request a waiver of housing and meals with proof of alternate options. All waivers are at the discretion of the Summer Programs Office.
How to Apply
Students interested in applying to this program should prepare the following materials:
- One brief contemporary monologue
- One song from the musical theater repertoire (32 bars)
- One piece of your choosing. This is your opportunity to show us your creativity. In this piece, we are looking to see what sets you apart as an artist. Show us your interpretation of Shakespeare, a performance of your own original music, how you dance, or anything else you can imagine—the sky's the limit.
Video Recording Submission Guidelines
- Sound quality is important and the featured performer must be clearly audible.
- Videos should be appropriately lit and in focus, and applicants are encouraged to introduce themselves to the faculty.
- Videos can be home, live, or studio recordings.
- Recordings of the performances should be recent (within the last year).
- Ensure your video submissions are easily accessible and not set to private.
Instructions on how to submit your materials are available in the online application portal. Create your account to begin your application.
May 1, 2021