As an enrolled Boston Conservatory at Berklee undergraduate student, you can complete a minor program of study in addition to your declared major. Minors consist of a minimum of 10–12 credits and are meant to provide you with the opportunity to gain a breadth and depth of understanding in a focused area of study outside of your declared major. Students may declare a minor at the end of their second semester or later, and may begin studies in their minor at the beginning of their third semester at the earliest.
Minors for Conservatory Students
While many of the courses required to complete these minors are offered through Berklee College of Music, Boston Conservatory Academic Affairs manages program progress and completion.
- Acoustics and Electronics
- American Roots Music
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- English: Creative Writing
- English: Literature
- English: Spoken Word/Poetry Slam/Performance Poetry
- Instrument Repair
- Music and Society: Africana Studies
- Music and Society: Global Studies
- Music and Society: Gender Studies
- Visual Culture and New Media Studies
Frequently Asked Questions
Please Note: Requirements are subject to change, and course registration is dependent on enrollment availability and the fulfillment of prerequisites.
How do I declare a minor?
To begin the process of declaring a minor, students should complete a Declaration of Minor form. This request will then need approval from Academic Affairs before being processed.
Submit the Declaration of Minor form online.
What are the requirements to declare a minor?
- Students may declare a minor at the end of their second semester or later, and may begin studies in their minor at the beginning of their third semester at the earliest.
- Student must have a cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.70 in order to declare a minor.
- Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.70 in the courses within their declared minor in order to receive credit for the minor course of study and indication of the minor on their official transcript
- Students currently on academic probation may not declare their intent for a minor course of study.
Can I declare two minors?
Students may complete only one minor course of study for inclusion on their official transcript.
Can the courses count towards my degree?
- Course work completed under the guidelines of a minor may be used to fulfill other degree requirements, as appropriate.
- Declaration of a minor does not allow a student to bypass specified prerequisites.