Graduate Performance Diploma in Multiple Woodwind Performance
After completing an undergraduate or graduate degree in music, students may wish to gain more practical performance experience before pursuing an advanced degree or a career in the industry. Boston Conservatory at Berklee’s Graduate Performance Diploma (G.P.D.) is a two-year program that provides concentrated performance training without the academic coursework required of a master's program. Because the G.P.D. program is designed to maximize students' time performing and minimize their time in the classroom, students entering the program are expected to be strong performers and well versed in their knowledge of music. Therefore, an undergraduate degree in music is required to be eligible for enrollment.
G.P.D. students receive weekly personalized lessons with their Conservatory instructor, with an emphasis on performance technique and presence. With ensemble assignments meant to emulate the pacing and rigor of a professional music organization, students perform continually throughout the semester with the Conservatory’s many large and small ensembles and chamber groups, in pit orchestras for dance, opera, and theater productions, and in solo recitals and special auditioned groups.
Additionally, students are encouraged to take advantage of the Conservatory’s prime location in Boston by auditioning for local ensembles and participating in music festivals and competitions. This provides an excellent opportunity for students to build real-world experience and strong professional networks.
The Graduate Performance Diploma in Multiple Woodwind Performance program requires students to complete 24 credits, consisting of the course requirements listed below. View the Sample Curriculum by Semester for additional details.
- M-AP 0809 Applied lessons: Multi-Woodwind (12 credits)
- M-EN 0069 Instrumental Ensemble (4 credits)
- M-EN 0079 Chamber Music (4 credits)
- M-SK 0009 Recital (0 credit)
- M-ST 0809 Performance Seminar: Woodwinds (4 credits)
What You Will Learn
The Graduate Performance Diploma in Multiple Woodwind Performance program features an enhanced focus on training through performance-focused experiences. Upon successful completion of the program, students will:
- perform a wide range of musical styles, genres, and repertoire with a high level of technique and artistry developed in applied instrumental lessons, large and small ensemble experiences, coachings, master classes, and observations on at least three unique woodwind instruments;
- analyze instrumental technique to overcome technical challenges, with an ability to communicate the details of that technique to another, as studied in applied lessons;
- develop and foster meaningful artistic collaborations with partners across the musical and artistic spectrum;
- cultivate meaningful connections to the communities in which they teach and perform, informed by their experiences in large and small ensembles, and through special partnership programs at Boston Conservatory; and
- establish an artistic identity that represents their individuality, celebrating music of past and present, and serving as a champion for the future of our industry.
Alumni of Boston Conservatory’s woodwind performance program have won prestigious competitions and are creating dynamic careers in solo, ensemble, and orchestral performance. They also hold prestigious positions as arts administrators and instructors around the country.
- Albany Symphony Orchestra
- Birmingham Contemporary Music Group
- Boston Modern Orchestra Project
- Boston Opera Collaborative
- Boston Philharmonic
- Boston Scoring Orchestra
- Guerilla Opera
- Luxembourg Chamber Orchestra
- Rhode Island Philharmonic
- United States Army Band
- Video Game Orchestra
- Boston University
- BU Tanglewood Institute
- New England Conservatory
- Providence College
- Alexander & Buono International Flute Competition
- Harold Wright Award—Boston Woodwind Society
- James Pappoutsakis Flute Competition
- Lucerne Festival Contemporary Music Fellowship
- National Flute Association's Piccolo Artist Competition
- New York Flute Club Young Artist Competition
- Tanglewood Music Center Fellowship
- Yamaha Young Performing Artist Award