Boston Conservatory at Berklee offers a Professional Studies Certificate (P.S.C.) for advanced musicians who want to spend a year focused exclusively on performance. This specialized program provides high-level training for students who have completed their bachelor's degree, and wish to continue honing their artistry through a year of intensive performance. The P.S.C. program emulates a professional musician’s schedule. By design, the curriculum does not include classroom work so that students may dedicate their time to auditioning, rehearsing, performing, and professional networking.
The Conservatory’s P.S.C. program provides students with an abundance of performance opportunities. In a given year, the school presents more than 700 performances by students, faculty, and guest artists, 260 of which are world premieres. With this volume of work, students in the P.S.C. program perform often and in a wide variety of settings, from large and small ensembles and chamber groups, to collaborations with guest artists and peer musicians, to solo recitals and appearances.
In addition to their rigorous performance schedule on campus, P.S.C. students are encouraged to take advantage of the Conservatory’s prime location in Boston by auditioning for local ensembles and participating in music competitions and professional music societies. This provides an excellent opportunity for students to build real-world experience and strong professional networks, so that they are better poised to land the roles they desire upon graduation.
The Professional Studies Certificate in Percussion Performance requires students to complete 15 credits, consisting of the course requirements listed below. View the Sample Curriculum by Semester for additional details.
- M-AP 0009 / M-AP 0509 Applied lessons (6 credits total, 1.5–3 credits each)
- M-EN 0069 Instrumental Ensemble (2 credits total, 1 credit each)
- M-EN 0079 Chamber Music (2 credits total, 1 credit each)
- M-SK 0009 Recital (0 credit)
- Xxxxx General electives (5 credits total)
What You Will Learn
The Professional Studies Certificate in Percussion Performance is an intensive one-year, performance-focused training program. Upon successful completion of the program, students will:
- perform a wide range of musical styles, genres, and repertoire with a high level of technique and artistry developed in applied instrumental lessons, large and small ensemble experiences, coachings, master classes, and observations;
- analyze instrumental technique to overcome technical challenges, with an ability to communicate the details of that technique to others, as studied in applied lessons;
- develop and foster meaningful artistic collaborations with partners across the musical and artistic spectrum; and
- establish an artistic identity that represents their individuality, celebrating music of past and present, and serving as a champion for the future of our industry.