July 19–30, 2021
"High School Composition Intensive is such a fantastic experience that connects young composers with performers, something that is vital when learning how to write music. I always advocate for composers to get acquainted with instrumentalists, and Boston Conservatory's High School Composition program really achieves this."—Charles (Former High School Composition Intensive Participant; Finalist Award Winner, National Young Arts Awards)
Boston Conservatory at Berklee High School Composition Intensive is a two-week program designed to challenge and engage students who are serious about music composition. Young composers will receive individualized lessons and coachings from acclaimed faculty and guest artists who will help them build a toolbox of techniques essential to developing a compositional voice. This includes:
- Learning how to write quickly and effectively
- Acquiring rehearsal techniques
- Developing communication skills for collaborating with professional musicians and colleagues
- Receiving feedback on revising scores
By the end of the program, each student composer will have developed a portfolio of three works that includes properly notated scores and accompanying audio recordings, performed by the program’s professional ensembles in residence. Students will leave the program with greater confidence in their skills and creativity as composers.
Who Should Join
High school students, ages 15 to 18, with some foundation in music composition.
Faculty, Guest Instructors, and Visiting Ensembles
Previous guest instructors for the program have included Victoria Cheah, William Cooper, Jim Dalton, Marti Epstein, Stephen Halloran, Marc Hoffeditz, Eun Young Lee, Cynthia Van Maanen, Marc McAnneny, Mischa Salkind-Pearl, and Kirsten Volness.
Previous guest instructors have also included the Semiosis Quartet and Worcester Chamber Music Society.
|Application Fee:||$50 (non-refundable)|
|Housing and Meals:*||$1,395|
|Payment Deadline:||Tuesday, June 1, 2021|
|Move-In:||Monday, July 19, 2021 (time TBD)|
|Move-Out:||Saturday, July 31, 2021 by 12:00 p.m.|
Students living on campus enjoy housing in the Conservatory’s historical brownstones and the many offerings of the Berklee cafeteria, just down the street. Learn more about housing.
*Students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. Students may request a waiver of housing and meals with proof of alternate options. All waivers are at the discretion of the Summer Programs Office.
How to Register
Students interested in applying to this program should prepare the following materials:
- Scores of between two and five works (hard copy submissions are also accepted)
- Include recordings of your works, if available (MIDI is acceptable if a live recording is not available). For each recording submitted, you must include an accompanying score. Each recording can be as large as 5GB. Students are advised against mailing original recordings, as all materials submitted become the property of Boston Conservatory at Berklee and cannot be returned.
Instructions on how to submit your materials are available in the online application portal. Create your account to begin your registration.
Space in this program is still available, and we will continue to accept registrations until we reach capacity—register here.