Jean Anderson Collier
Jean Anderson Collier joined Boston Conservatory in 2010, and is currently the primary opera coach. She also coaches singers privately in the voice department.
Collier has also served on the faculty of the New England Conservatory of Music since 1999, where she teaches diction and song repertoire classes, and works as a recital and opera department coach. She has worked with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Lyric Opera, Opera Providence, Brevard Music Festival, the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival in Fairbanks, Alaska, and the University of California Summer Vocal Instititute. She was formerly the staff pianist and head of class piano at Miami University (Ohio). Collier maintains an active performing career as a recitalist in the U.S. and in Europe. Since 2008, she has served as a vocal coach at the Flagstaff summer opera program, a training program in Fidenza, Italy for opera singers sponsored by Northern Arizona University.
Collier holds a D.M.A in collaborative piano from New England Conservatory, where she studied with Margo Garrett, Irma Vallecillo, and Kayo Iwama. She also holds master's degrees from Miami University (piano performance) and the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (collaborative piano), and a bachelor's degree from Cincinnati Christian University in piano performance and theology. She received further training as a Tanglewood fellow, at the Hochschule Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria, and at the Cleveland Art Song Festival.
Professional Recognitions and Awards:
- Best Ensemble in an Opera, Boston Opera Collaborative's Our Town (ArtsImpulse Awards, 2015)
- Faculty Grant Recipient (New England Conservatory)
- Our Town (Boston Opera Collaborative, 2015)—Music Director/Pianist
- Werther (Boston Opera Collaborative, 2015)—Music Director/Pianist
- Le nozze di figaro (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Principal Coach
- La Traviata (Boston Conservatory, 2016)—Principal Coach
- Flight (Boston Conservatory, 2015)—Principal Coach