- B.F.A. senior and M.F.A. live showcase
- Faculty- and student-directed plays and musicals in our black box theater
- Freshman Revue on our mainstage
- Fully staged plays on our mainstage
- Fully staged musicals on our mainstage, performed with a live orchestra, featuring classical standards and bold new works
- Master classes, workshops, and studio recitals with visiting artists
- M.F.A. New Works
- Workshops and studio recitals
- M.F.A. summer stock mainstage production
- Auditions with local theater companies and playhouses
- Community outreach programs servicing Greater Boston
- Paid performance opportunities arranged through our Student Services Office
- Annual Festival of New Musicals with Goodspeed Opera House
Virtually Now: The 2020-2021 Boston Conservatory Theater Season
This year, all theater performances are presented virtually and are free and open to the public:
- Body Maps
An ensemble of Boston Conservatory students creates an original performance sharing their identities and personal truths. Travel through memory and self-exploration on a journey from the body to the stage with nationally acclaimed queer artist/activist Tim Miller.
- Mr. Burns: A Post-Electric Play By Anne Washburn
After a global catastrophe, survivors attempt to find connections by sharing memories of their favorite TV show. Fast forward to 2095, when today’s pop culture has become the musical-theater-religion of the future. A cutting-edge exploration of the human spirit in times of crisis.
- Fugitive Songs (Boston Premiere) By Chris Miller and Nathan Tysen
This innovative story-song cycle captures the yearnings of a generation longing for escape. In a musical style blending folk, pop-rock, and musical theater, Fugitive Songs offers a new sound for a restless America and examines the renegade spirit in us all.
- Beyond Boundaries
M.F.A. students present a theatrical cabaret weaving together stories, dance, and songs that engage with social change, defy stereotypes, and push boundaries.
- BoCo Sings Sondheim
In celebration of Stephen Sondheim’s 90th birthday, the Conservatory community performs innovative interpretations of favorite songs and memorable moments from his greatest works.
- Beyond Boundaries: The Fire This Time
An evening of live performances and videos spotlighting the talents of the Conservatory's BIPOC theater community, featuring songs, monologues, spoken word, and dance.
- The Writer’s Stage
Experience the creative talents of faculty and student playwrights and composers with a series of rehearsed readings, including:
- Kimchee and Chitlins by Elizabeth Wong
A serious comedy about cultural identity, power, the media, and racial tensions inspired by true events.
- Blue Neighbourhood by Connor Wentworth (B.F.A. '21, contemporary theater)
Characters representing a unique construct of contemporary society attempt to process love, loss, and loneliness.
- Much Undone by David Valdes
A gender-bending response to the bard’s Much Ado About Nothing that questions why, how, and who we love.
- Cubamor by Charles Vincent Burwell and James D. Sasser
A musical journey of love, dreams, ambition, and magic adapted from the award-winning film by Joshua Bee Alafia.
- Kimchee and Chitlins by Elizabeth Wong
- New Directors Festival
Expect the unexpected in this festival of contemporary plays daringly interpreted and conceived by a new generation of directors.
- TJ Loves Sally 4 Ever By James Ijames
At a university in Virginia, TJ, the school’s white dean, develops an obsession with Sally, his Black student research assistant. Produced in partnership with SpeakEasy Stage Company.
- First Voices
The class of 2024 performs an original musical expression of their shared first-year journey, featuring an array of choral works and musical theater and pop songs.
- MT² Pop-Rock Festival
Sophomore musical theater students share a virtual concert of pop-rock songs rehearsed and developed during their classes. Think of it as BoCopalooza or BoCostock, 'cause we will literally become THE School of Rock.
- MT Volume Three
Are Rodgers and Hammerstein among your favorite things? The junior musical theater class creates a video anthology with highlights of their performance work.
- Back/Forward: Ensemble Performance Labs
Four contemporary theater ensembles create devised works that explore the great question of 2021: How do we go back and yet move forward?
Presenting the unique and dynamic M.F.A. class of 2021 in their graduate capstone shows.
- Songwriter’s Showcase
An evening of new music written and performed by songwriting emphasis students.
- Making the Leap
Senior dance emphasis students share their journey through a video performance capturing their artistic transformations during their time at the Conservatory.
- Musical Theater Class of 2021 Showcase
Celebrate the B.F.A. and M.F.A. musical theater graduates of 2021 as they launch themselves into the professional world with a virtual showcase that will be shared with theaters, directors, agents, and casting directors nationwide.