B.F.A. Contemporary Dance
Applicants to the Dance Division will participate in two technique classes: one ballet and one modern (pointe is not required). Following the classes, each student will be asked to present a solo that is 90 seconds in length. The solo may be a repertory piece or original choreography. It is preferable, although not required, that solo pieces be ballet or modern. Applicants must provide the accompaniment for solos. CDs and MP3 players are acceptable. An interview with the dance faculty is also required.
Applicants should choose from the following appropriate attire for their audition:
- Solid-colored leotard and tights or
- Solid-colored T-shirt and tights or
- Solid-colored unitard
Live auditions are strongly encouraged and preferred by the faculty. However, if there are extenuating circumstances, we will accept recorded auditions and they will be considered carefully by the audition panel. The requirements for recorded auditions are below:
Ballet: Barre and center work, including adagio, turns, and petit and grand allegro. If applicable, please include pointe work (echappés, relèvé passés, pirouettes en dehors, and en dedans).
Modern: Floor work, combinations, and progressions across the floor, including jumps and falls.
Solos: The solo should be no longer than 90 seconds and may be a repertory piece or original choreography. It is preferable, although not required, that solo pieces be ballet or modern.
The recording should include a brief oral statement by the applicant that includes the following:
- Where you are from
- Your goals in dance
- Why you would like to attend Boston Conservatory at Berklee
Incomplete recorded auditions will NOT be considered for admission.
- Applicants submitting video should be sure that the recordings are appropriately lit and are in focus.
- Applicants who choose to submit a recorded audition should make every effort to have the best possible recording made of their audition performance (recorded auditions that are of poor quality often result in a student being denied admission).
- Applicants are encouraged to introduce themselves and provide any information they would like to convey to the faculty. Instructions on how to submit pre-screen and recorded auditions will be sent to you after your application is submitted.