Visa Information

This information is for international students coming to Berklee's Boston campus. If you are spending your first year on the Valencia, Spain, campus, please see First Year Abroad visa information.

Accepted International Students

Read all of the information provided to you by Berklee, in the I-20 request packet, which includes an estimate of expenses, and instructions on what is required in order for you to receive a Berklee I-20.

Important Visa Information

You will need an I–20 form from Berklee in order to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy. Please read the following steps carefully.

Requirements to Get an I–20 Form

You must be fully accepted and have paid your tuition deposit for one of Berklee's graduate programs, undergraduate programs, the 12-week full-credit summer program, or the Music and English Intensive Program (MEIP)

Financial Documentation

All documentation must be in English. Full-time students must provide proof of financial support for a nine-month period of study (three-month period of study for our summer programs). Documentation should include the following:

  • Bank letter or statement from a family member, sponsor, or your personal account showing proof of funds in the amount shown on the estimate of expenses
  • Affidavit of Support form completed by each financial sponsor
  • Berklee Scholarship Award Letter (if applicable)

Proof of Support for All Sources of Funding

If you are receiving support from your government or a private sponsor, include a copy of your award letter. All sources of funding should be listed on within your completed I-20 request packet. To avoid delays and additional expenses, we suggest that you send the required documentation by the following dates:

Full-Time Programs




July 1


December 1

Summer: Undergraduate Program

Summer: Berklee Summer Semester

Music and English Intensive Program (MEIP)

April 1

April 1

June 1

Please be aware of the following:

  • It takes two–four weeks for an I–20 form to be processed and delivered to most countries. Submit your documentation early.
  • Faxed documentation is processed along with our regular mail. All mail is processed in the order it is received.
  • We recommend sending the I-20 request materials by email to

Student Visas

You may apply for an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your country once you receive your I-20 form. The I-20 form shipment will include instructions on how to pay your SEVIS fee and make your visa appointment.  Make sure to bring the following to your visa interview:

  1. Letter of acceptance to Berklee 
  2. I–20 form
  3. Documentation showing sources of funding
  4. Valid passport (valid for at least six months beyond the date of your travel)
  5. Proof that you intend to return to your own country after completing your studies

You will be interviewed during this process in order to confirm your ability to handle English and to confirm your intentions to study at Berklee. Your passport will be collected, and if you are approved by the embassy or consulate, it will be returned to you with the visa.

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda must pay the SEVIS fee; however, they are not required to complete an interview at a U.S. consulate for a student visa. Citizens of Canada and Bermuda should not schedule an appointment with the U.S. embassy. Instead, they must present their I-20 and valid passport to a U.S. immigration officer at the port of entry.

Please note:

  • Do not enter the U.S. on a tourist visa.
  • Do not pack your documents in your luggage.
  • Carry all documents with you.

Estimate of Expenses for International Students

To find estimates of tuition and related expenses for international students, see:

These estimates do not include the costs of transportation to and from the U.S., vacation-related travel, rental/shipment of an instrument, or other such factors that may increase your expected expenses.

Begin Your I-20 Application

Request Information