Eun Young Lee
TitlesAssociate Professor of Composition
Eun Young Lee joined the Conservatory in 2014 and is an associate professor of composition.
Lee's works have been commissioned by many ensembles, including Eighth Blackbird, Antico Moderno, the New York New Music Ensemble, Pacifica Quartet, the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Diablo Symphony, Dinosaur Annex, Gemini Ensemble, ECCE, Left Coast Chamber Ensemble, dissonArt ensemble, ensemble mise-en, Black House New Operas Project, Boston Conservatory Wind Ensemble, and Radius Ensemble.
Her music has received a number of awards, including first prize at the Tsang-Houei Hsu International Music Composition Competition in Taiwan (2006), the Max DiJulio Prize (2008), placement in the League of Composers Competition (2013) and APNM Composition Competition (2013), and the first regional award in the SCI/ASCAP student composition commission (2006, 2009, 2010). She is the recipient of fellowships from the MacDowell Colony (2010), the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts (2010), the Djerassi Resident Artists Program (2010), and I-Park & ensemble mise-en Composers + Musicians Collaborative Residency (2015).
Lee's music has been chosen for broadcasts through Art of the States, EBU (European Broadcasting Union), KBS (Korean Broadcasting System), Anthology of Contemporary Concert Music, and Davis Radio Station and has been featured on Ablaze Records, in the SCI Journal of Music Scores (Vol. 41), and on the SCI CD series (No. 23). Her instrumental pieces, computer music, multimedia pieces, and film scores have been featured in festivals and concerts in many countries, including June in Buffalo, Etchings Festival, the Composers Conference at Wellesley College, the Gene Siskel Film Center, Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo in Brazil, and Music09 in Switzerland.
Lee earned a B.M. and an M.M. in music theory at Ewha Woman’s University. She came to the United States to earn her M.M. in composition from Manhattan School of Music and a Ph.D. in composition at the University of Chicago.
Professional Awards and Recognitions
- Robert Johnson Award (Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, 2015)
- Black House New Operas Project Composers' Competition (2014)
- Composition Competition Award (Association for the Promotion of New Music, 2013)
- League of Composers competition (International Society for Contemporary Music, 2013)
- Annual Composer's Competition (newEar Contemporary Chamber Music Ensemble, 2013)
Notable Recent Works
- Mool-lae-bang-ah (Diablo Symphony Orchestra, 2016)
- Gil (Antico Moderno, 2016)
- *12* (Radius Ensemble, 2016)
- Pyung-Hwa (Boston Conservatory Wind Ensemble, 2016)
- Jae-hwal-yong (ensemble mise-en, 2015)