I am most interested in sustainable and accurate technique that allows a singer to become purely expressive both physically and emotionally in any genre. I believe that we have one voice that can be flexible, informed, and nuanced for all opportunities.
joined the Conservatory's voice faculty in 2008 and is an associate professor of voice. He teaches applied voice for musical theater and vocal performance, as well as the courses Structure and Function of the Singing Mechanism, Vocal Pedagogy, Applied Teaching Practicum, and Foundations of Voice Technique. He created the curriculum for the Conservatory's M.M. in Vocal Pedagogy
and M.F.A. in Musical Theater Vocal Pedagogy
degrees, and also serves as director of the Conservatory's Vocal Pedagogy Professional Workshop
As a vocal pedagogue, diagnostician, and rehabilitator, Wilson is dedicated to voice habilitation and securing the voice through a sustainable, flexible technique. As a result, his students have performed in venues ranging from the Metropolitan Opera, Chicago Lyric Opera, New York City Opera, Boston Lyric Opera, Handel and Haydn Society, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Baroque, and the Oregon, Carmel, and Charlotte Bach festivals, to Broadway’s Hamilton, Cats, Beetlejuice, A Bronx Tale, The Band's Visit, On Your Feet, Beautiful, Kinky Boots, The Lion King, Gigi, Rocky, Mamma Mia!, Once, Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812, Doctor Zhivago, Cinderella, Avenue Q, Evita, Aladdin, and numerous national tours and regional theaters. His students have been finalists and winners in the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra competition, Metropolitan Opera Auditions, Classical Singer Competition Grand Finals (classical and musical theater), the NATS Boston/National Voice Competitions, and have received multiple prestigious regional nominations and awards for performance.
Wilson is a sought-after clinician, adjudicator, and master teacher, and has given master classes and lectures on vocal health and musical theater and classical pedagogies throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. He has presented at the NATS National Conference, Pan European Voice Conference, American Choral Directors Association, Classical Singer, the Southwest American Choral Directors Association conference, and at universities throughout the United States and Europe. Most recently he has given master classes and guest taught at New England Conservatory, University of Miami, New York University, Arizona State University, University of the Arts, and San Francisco Conservatory. He serves as a peer editor for various trade journals in voice and pedagogy, and has been published in Performing in Contemporary Musicals (2022), Training Commercial Contemporary Singers (2019), Billboard magazine (2013), and in 2019, the National Association for Teachers of Singing named him a master teacher for the prestigious voice intern program.
Wilson earned an M.M. in vocal pedagogy from New England Conservatory and a B.M. in vocal performance from the University of Central Oklahoma. He has completed additional studies in voice at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory, in speech anatomy and physiology at Boston University's Sargent College, and in voice and speech with Catherine Fitzmaurice and Kristin Linklater.
In addition to his teaching at the Conservatory, Wilson teaches graduate vocal pedagogy at Boston University. He was previously on the voice faculty at the American Repertory Theater at Harvard University, Brown University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Marymount Manhattan College. He maintains private voice studios online and in Boston and New York City.
Professional Awards and Recognitions
- National Association for Teachers of Singing (Master Teacher, 2019)
- Voice and Speech Teachers Association (Member, 2017)
- Pan-American Vocology Association (Member, 2016)
- National Association of Teachers of Singing (Member, 2016)
- Pan-European Voice Conference (Estonia, 2022)—Presenter
- National Association for Teachers of Singing National Conference (Chicago, 2022)—Presenter, Finals Adjudicator
- Vitterbo College (2022)—Master class
- New York University (2021)—Guest Lecturer
- San Francisco Conservatory (2021)—Master class
- New England Conservatory (2021)—Master class
- Berklee Teachers on Teaching Conference (2020)—Master class
- University of Miami (2020)—Master class
- San Francisco Conservatory (2020)—Master class
- San Jose State University (2020)—Master class
- University of Southern California (2020)—Master class
- National Association for Teachers of Singing National Conference (Knoxville, 2020)—Presenter
- Southwest Arkansas University (2019)—Artist in residence
- University of the Arts (Philadelphia, 2019)—Master class
- Southwest American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) Conference (Southwest ACDA, 2018)—Featured presenter in vocal pedagogy
- Columbia College (2018)—Artist in residence