TitlesAssistant Professor of Theater
Rachel Bertone joined the Conservatory in 2013 and is an assistant professor of theater, specializing in musical theater dance.
Bertone is a recognized director, choreographer, performer, and teacher in the Boston area. As a director/choreographer, her work has been seen on stages both in New York and at top Boston professional theaters, such as Reagle Music Theatre, Lyric Stage Company, and Moonbox Productions. Most recently, her production of The Musical of Musicals was nominated for six IRNE Awards, including Best Direction and Choreography, and an Elliot Norton Award for Most Outstanding Musical. Critics have said that her choreography is “delicious” and “takes your breath away.” They have also raved that when she “directs and choreographs [she] makes story and dancing inseparable.”
Over the last few years, she has had the great honor of assistant directing for such Broadway veterans as David Hugo (Les Misérables), Kirby Ward (Fiddler on the Roof), and Larry Sousa (Bye Bye Birdie) at Reagle Music Theatre. Other favorite directing and choreography credits include Creative License (NYC Fringe Festival), Guys and Dolls (IRNE nomination: Best Choreography), My Fair Lady, South Pacific (Reagle Music Theatre), The Wild Party, Company, A New Brain, Floyd Collins (Moonbox Productions), City of Angels, Big River, Animal Crackers (Lyric Stage), West Side Story (IRNE nomination: Best Choreography), and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (Turtle Lane). This summer, she looks forward to directing and choreographing Carousel at Reagle Music Theatre.
Holding a B.F.A. in dance from Boston Conservatory, she has performed with several theaters and companies, such as Lyric Stage, Reagle Music Theatre, Liars & Believers, Boston Ballet, Ballet Rox, Windhover Dance Company, and Prometheus Dance. She is on the faculty of the A.R.T. Institute at Harvard University, Boston Ballet, Jeannette Neill Dance Studio, and Artbarn Community Theater and serves as the associate director of Reagle Music Theatre’s Youth Programs.
Professional Awards and Recognitions
- Best Choreography (ArtsImpulse, 2016)
- Best Production nomination (IRNE, 2016)
- Hall of Fame inductee (Arlington Catholic Arts, 2016)
- Best Choreography nomination (IRNE, 2015)
- Most Outstanding Musical nomination (Elliot Norton, 2015)
- Best Direction nomination (IRNE, 2012)
- Best Choreography (BroadwayWorld, 2011, 2012)
Recent Notable Works
- The Wild Party (Moonbox Productions, 2016)—Director/choreographer
- Guys and Dolls (Reagle Music Theatre, 2015)—Choreographer
- City of Angels (Lyric Stage Company of Boston, 2015)—Choreographer
- The Musical of Musicals (Moonbox Productions, 2014)—Director/choreographer
- Les Misérables (Reagle Music Theatre, 2013)—Choreographer/assistant director